As I have been watching the World Cup Soccer games over the past week it made me think about that word, “goal”.
- (In football, soccer, rugby, hockey, and some other games) a pair of posts linked by a crossbar and often with a net attached behind it, forming a space into or over which the ball must be sent in order to score.
- The object of a person’s ambition or effort; an aim or desired result.
This is a season of goals – where we set our intentions for the new year and aim for those desired results. In business, goal setting is extremely important as it sets the focus and ambitions for the year. “Without goals and plans to reach them, you are like a ship that has set sail without a destination.” ~Fitzhugh Dodson
Below are a few tips to help you create your business goals for 2023.
Before you get started:
1. Complete a SWOT analysis. Use this to determine your current challenges and opportunities as you lay out the goals.
2. Review past performance. You can’t decide where you’re going until you know where you’ve been.
3. Solicit input from employees. Including others in your planning creates a sense of buy in which in turn can create accountability and move the needle in achieving the goals.
4. Review your mission and vision statements. As you consider your goals make sure they align with your mission and vision statements, the compass to all of your business decisions.
Once you have completed these activities and are prepared to address any opportunities or challenges you have uncovered to move the organization forward, it is time to work on your short- and long-term goals.
Goals should be specific, measurable, and able to be achieved. An additional tip is to assign people on your team to take responsibility for follow through and schedule check in points throughout the year. Finally, communicate the goals to the entire team to make sure everyone is on the same page and knows where you are going! Take time to celebrate when you achieve your results – GOOOOAL!
For more information on our signature consulting programs to help you manage through the phases of the business cycle, connect with email@example.com via email or visit our website www.greenlightleaders.com